Saturday 20 April 2013

Entry 20: the London Marathon


it's a very hard thing indeed to try and come up with things to do when you literally cannot do anything (physically). Last week – or was it the week before? Anyway, I posted about being so bored that I put out a plea for ideas. I know that quite a few of you attempted to have a good think but were unable to come up with anything… Not that I was trying to make a point at the time (I was quite literally crying out for help!) But I guess now in hindsight, a point could be made. Which is: spare a thought for all of those people out there who really cannot do anything for themselves, for whatever reason it may be. If you have frail old grandparents who are stuck in front of the TV all day in some nursing home – go visit them. Believe me, they'll be glad of the visit just to break up their day. If somebody can't get to the shops because they just can't walk that far, give them a lift! You get the idea…

I am one of the lucky ones in that I am now in a position where I get a lot of visits from my friends, phone calls from family and have enough computer literacy to occupy my time with the Internet/technology-based things e.g. online radio (thanks B! – She recommended some good stations) and of course kindle for the laptop. I am also of course spending time writing my blog… Amongst other things… But frankly one has to find motivation and it's incredibly difficult when you have nothing to talk about. So – if I have nothing to say, should I therefore not say it and just leave it blank? Entry 20: Nothing. No such luck for you guys! My brain is always wandering about, and can always find something to ponder on :-)

this weekend is the London Marathon. Coming in the wake of what happened in Boston, I have even more respect for the people running. Not only are people running specifically for The Backup Trust and the SIA, but I also have a personal friend who is running for Asthma UK. Oh good grief – my upstairs neighbour's have decided to play Saturday afternoon jazz quite loudly, which has totally wrecked my train of thought!

Okay, where was I? The London Marathon. I think this week I will keep it brief and simple. I'm going to say please support those people running… The Backup Trust have helped me get myself back together through telephone mentoring, the SIA had a peer mentor coming to the unit when I was still in hospital and also ran specific classes helping us to get to grips with "the outside world". My friend who is running for Asthma UK has her own reasons for supporting this charity, but from my personal point of view this charity should be supported because if you have ever struggled to breathe you will know just how scary and how dangerous it is. I have been readmitted to hospital more times than I care to mention because of my asthma, coupled with my tetraplegic. It is literally something that could kill me. That might sound dramatic but believe it or not, it's true. For those who are reading this blog and are not immediately aware of my situation, being tetraplegic means that I cannot use the chest muscles a fully fit person or even a paraplegic might be able to use. I have no cough reflex. Asthma, the tightening of airways due to inflammation and the production of phlegm which also narrows the airways, requires the clearing of this phlegm. Without a cough reflex it's impossible. I literally have to be punched in the stomach… Or in medical circles be given a "Assisted Cough", to help me bring up the gunk. Should bacteria get in there and I'm pretty much on a one-way ticket to pneumonia.

So if I can figure it out, I'm going to leave you with these – the links to those three very fantastic charities, and a you Tube clip that I came across that literally brought tears to my eyes when it comes to supporting your loved ones…



Challenged Yet?

1 comment: